Monday 16 June 2014

Crossfit log for Monday, June 16th

Back at it this morning.

Part one, find your 5 rep max back squat.  Never done this before. Did some quick math and figured maybe 255# would be a good goal. 92% of max.  Maybe a bit high. 

Well definitely a bit high in hindsight.

Started to feel heavy at 205#.  Hit 225# for 5 and it sure wasn't easy.  I've done 225# for 2 sets of 5 back in May, but that was at lunch time, I seem to be able to lift heavier at lunch time, I guess I'm more warmed up.

But given I'd done 225# for 4 doing front squat at Brockville, I felt I had to go for more.  Tried 245# just shy of 90% of max.  It was rough, but I got it.

So there it is, 5 rep max back squat: 245#  I'll take it.

Then worked up to 3 heavy but not maximal squat cleans (kind of a warm up for the WOD). 

Started at 135#, then 155# where I was already struggling.  Alex said my first pull was too slow.  I wasn't building any momentum for the second pull. Went up to 165#, where I failed last time and tried to pull a bit faster from the ground.

What a difference!  Night and day, I totally nailed 165# for 3 and even at 175# I had no trouble, 10# shy of my PR. I may have to retest that soon.

The WOD was the same as April 28th, where just barely made 3 rounds:

10 minute AMRAP
- 6 squat cleans, 135#
- 12 pull ups
- 24 double unders.

Managed 3 + 4 reps. The plus 4 reps was, according to coach Alex, "legit" since it was 4 cleans, not like 4 double unders.

Double unders went fairly well, 2 or 3 attempts to get through 24 reps. Not stellar, but not shameful.

Cleans were heavy near the end.  Pull ups were fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment