Friday 7 March 2014

Crossfit log for Friday, March 7th: Crossfit Open 14.2

The 2014 Crossfit open week 2.  I intentionally avoided the announcement. Which turned out to be easy, I fell asleep before it even aired at 8pm!

I didn't even look it up before leaving the house. 

I did all of my nutrition except creatine again, I meant to take some last night but forgot. Oh well. I'm likely saturated anyway.

It wasn't until I was putting on my shoes that I found out what it was.

It was modelled after last year's super Fran, but a bit different.

2 rounds in 3 minutes of
10 overhead squats
10 chest to bar pull ups.

If you complete 2 rounds before the time is up, you buy yourself another 3 minutes.  Unlike last year's 13.5, you can't start the next round right away, you rest until the 3 minutes are up then start the next 3 minute segment.  Each segment you increase the rep count by 2.  So the first 3:00 is 2 rounds of 10 reps, the next 3:00 is 2 rounds of 12 reps, the 2 rounds of 14 reps, and so on.

This last paragraph was for informational purpose only, as I didn't not make it past the first 3 minutes.

In fact, I didn't even make it to the chest to bar pull ups.  If you have read much of my blog you will know that my whole year of mobility was to address my inability to do over head squats.

At least I had my new lifting shoes from Risto, which gave me 1" heel.  So I grabbed Mitch's warm up bar (75#) just to try one. No go.  I couldn't break parallel with my hips. Now I'm thinking this will be a joke. 

So I grab a women's bar (35#) and try a couple and after a few reps I was able to get low enough.  Okay, my physio said that even he take many warm up reps before he can get full range of motion.

So I add a bit of weight and even at 75# I was able to get multiple good reps.  I confirmed that I could use the women's bar (the grip is narrower, and I'd been a having some success, so I wanted to keep going with what worked) and put on 25# plates for 85#.  Again, 2 or 3 reps out of 5 or 6 attempts.

So I added 5# plates and went off to judge Natasha's performance.  Sadly, despite getting a chest to bar recently, having done so many this week, she was sore and just couldn't get one.  She breezed through her overhead squats and spent 2 and a half minutes trying to get a pull up.  Frustrating.

But not as frustrating as my turn. All the practice I did left my shoulder's fatigued, first two attempts weren't low enough.  Third try and I finally got a good solid overhead squat at 95#.  Every subsequent attempt was either too shallow, of if I got deep enough, I lost the bar, unable to stabilize the shoulder.

Total score for 14.2: 1.



Oh well, it was a PR.  ;)

Afterwards, I grapped the 5lbs practice bar which is shorter, and I can press my hands against the collars.  Way easier to stabilize the shoulders and I did a bunch without issue.  I guess I need to work on shoulder stability. 

Progress.





No comments:

Post a Comment